Volunteering opportunities September 2013
NADFAS heritage volunteers are teams of committed non-specialists who work under the guidance of curators and other professionals to help conserve our heritage. Volunteers undertake projects for museums, National Trust and English Heritage properties, historic houses, libraries and gardens. They give their time to care for collections, record documents and act as guides and stewards. Organisations currently seeking help in London include:
- The National Archives at Kew need help with the preservation of historical documents relating to former British colonies (see document below).
- The Dickens Museum, Doughty Street, WC2 recently reopened after major refurbishment and needs volunteers for a variety of roles.
- The Household Cavalry Museum at Horse Guards, SW1 is seeking more guides.
- The Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich, SE10 has vacancies for stewards.
- The National Portrait Gallery, SW1 needs help with book conservation.
- The Guards Museum, SW1 is seeking help with archiving.
- The Worshipful Company of Stationers needs help with archiving historical papers.
A list of current vacancies, including contact details, is attached below.