Thurs 26 Sep 2013 - Dennis Severs' House & Spitalfields Walk
Dennis Severs (1948-1999) was an American who made his home in a dilapidated property in Spitalfields in 1979. The area was very run down, but artists such as Gilbert & George and the writer Jeanette Winterson were moving in, adding colour to the neighbourhood. Severs spent many years refurbishing the house, recapturing the lifestyle of a family living in the 1700s. The rooms are arranged as if they are still in use and the occupants have only just left. There are everyday items, smells and background sounds for each room.
Woven through the house is the story of the fictitious Jervis family, originally Huguenot silk weavers who lived there from 1725 to 1919. Each room evokes incidental moments in the lives of these imaginary inhabitants. David Hockney called the house "one of the world's greatest works of opera". After our visit and a break for lunch (there are plenty of eating places around Spitalfields), we will meet outside the house for a guided walk of Spitalfields, which has a rich history as well as a vibrant present.
Mon 14 Oct 2013 - The Magic Circle Experience
A different type of visit!
* Visit the House of 10,000 Secrets and enjoy a unique experience at the headquarters of the Magic Circle.
* Discover the fascinating history of mystery, magic and the world famous Magic Circle.
* See the Magic Circle Museum, as well as the many exhibits that are displayed around the building.
* Make a wish while turning three times on the Magic Circle emblem beneath the magnificent staircase.
* Marvel at the apparatus of the past and the hand painted murals.
* Enjoy close-up magic presented by a skilled member of the Magic Circle and a live magic performance in the fully equipped theatre.